Monday, February 23, 2009

Veggie Bean Burgers





I have to say that I am a pretty big meat eater. However, I don't NEED to have meat in every meal. I actually love to be creative sometimes, and cut the meat out. I am constantly looking for tasty vegetarian meals, and this bean burger did the trick! The original recipe was taken from a Guy Fieri creation, and I tweaked it just a little bit. (I apologize for this picture of the final product as it does not do the patty justice!)
Ingredients
2 ounces olive oil
3 Tb diced red onions
2 Tb diced black olives
1 tsp diced jalapeno
1 1/2 Tb diced garlic
6 ounces black beans
6 ounces white beans
6 ounces rolled oats
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp dried oregano
1 Tb fresh parsley
1/2 tsp red chili flakes
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 celery salt
1/4 ground sage
2 Tb seasoned bread crumbs
1 egg
Directions
1. In a large saute pan over medium heat, heat 1 ounce of olive oil and all raw veggies except for beans. Saute until translucent. Set aside to cool.
2. Add veggies to beans and mix thoroughly. Add all dry ingredients, and egg. Mix together thoroughly and make four even patties. Cover, and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
3. In saute pan, add 1 ounce of olive oil and cook patties for 2 to 3 minutes per side.
G's side notes:
The original recipe called for diced artichokes and another type of bean. This recipe already had so many flavors and ingredients, that I decided to cut out those two. These burgers turned out so flavorful they didn't need the extra ingredients. I did add cheese (of course), and I tried to make a spicy chili mayo spread. However, next time, I think I will try a basil lime mayo as I think the lime will go great with the beans.



















No comments:

Post a Comment